Archive for collection maintenance

The Second Week

I’m starting to fall into the rhythm of story times and desk shifts.  It was nice to see each age group’s story time for the second time around.  Some of the kids and families recognize me, and I’m absorbing more of the details of how Erica delivers an effective story time  instead of just paying attention to the big outline of what she does. Her story times have a great rhythm – they flow nicely between stories and activities, and don’t get derailed when a few children get fussy or overeager.  I’m not sure that there’s one particular secret to having this kind of gentle authority – I guess it comes with experience – but hopefully watching how Erica deals with individual situations will help me get a sense of the larger skill.

Weeded folk and fairy tales

Also, this week I began a weeding project in the children’s folk and fairy tale section.  Most of the nonfiction at Northeast underwent a significant weed last year, so there’s not much to do beyond pulling damaged items.  We did a dusty shelf on the easy nonfiction, and found that almost every item was circulating (or missing).  Folk and fairy tales, however, had a more substantial group of poorly circulating items.  We speculated as to why this might be.  They’re not in a very visible location, and their Dewey classification is confusing for browsers.  Using the Horizon tools for weeding was a nice way to learn more of the technology, and also to see how other branches are dealing with this collection.  It looks like a few of them need to weed their folk and fairy tales, too!

It was interesting to be there on a day without a story time.  Even a single story time eats up almost the entire morning, between set up, the story time itself, free play time and talking to parents, helping participants find materials in the busy children’s section, and clean up.  The pace of a day without this seems pretty necessary for Erica to wind down from the high-energy story time days, and is also critical for getting things done.  We processed new

Chicken story time craft

books, worked on the book order, and set up a basket of craft materials for Erica’s sub next week.  (I made this craft sample for her chicken-themed story time.)  It’s also important for her coworkers.  Erica is much more program-heavy than they are, which means she’s available for desk shifts far less often.  That puts a lot of burden on them to be on desk, and cuts into the time they have to plan their own programs, maintain their collections, etc.  It’s a difficult balancing act when one person does much more programming than the others – but it will probably be the case in almost every library that the children’s librarian is doing  far more of this than anybody else.  It’s good to see how everybody works with this.

A day without story time also gave me more time on the reference desk.  I’m getting to help with a wide array of adult reference questions, from finding an old photograph of an amusement park ride which no longer exists to printing a list of regulations for decommissioning oil tanks.  And, of course, I’ve received many tax-form questions.  I still wish I could find these answers more quickly, but I have felt that everybody has walked away with good, useful information.  Observing and assisting the other librarians has been a great way to learn more about the resources the library has to deal with these inquiries.  I’ve also discovered that I have much stronger teen RA skills than I had realized.  Just from reading some teen lit, writing a few reviews, and spending time in the teen collection at Sno-Isle last quarter, I’ve apparently picked up a pretty solid working knowledge of teen materials.  Realizing this makes me want to ensure that I do the same for children’s this quarter.  I’m making an effort to read more children’s lit, and to pay attention what is being weeded, ordered, and processed.

Next week Erica is on vacation, so I’ll be bouncing around to visit some other story times.

Hours: +24, total 42

Leave a comment »